Friday, February 29, 2008

The Cadman Story: Confirmation

Yesterday the story that dying MP Chuck Cadman was offered a million dollar life insurance policy by Conservative officials in return for a vote that would have brought down the Liberal government was only concretely substantiated by Dona Cadman, yet today Jodi Cadman, the daughter of Dona and Chuck, has further corroborated this story.

CBC reports the story today:

"He just said, 'I have something to tell you,' and he told me that he was offered a life insurance policy, that my mom and myself would be taken care of," Jodi Cadman said.

"When he told me, actually I have to admit, I burst into tears because the position he was put in," she said.

"To turn down the thought that my mom and me would maybe be taken care of financially at a time when there was no gain for himself broke my heart that he was put in that position."
CBC goes on to state that as Chuck Cadman related this offer to his family, Jodi suggests that her father felt he couldn't go public with the possible bribe:
Cadman's daughter, Jodi Cadman, told CBC News that her father, a B.C. member of Parliament who was battling cancer at the time, discussed the offer with her and her mother because he couldn't talk about it publicly.
Now there are no specifics of why Chuck Cadman felt he couldn't go public, perhaps he still felt some tie to the Conservative Party or perhaps he was sworn to secrecy, we don't know. What we do know is that Chuck Cadman told his family about the offer, and though Stephen Harper and every Conservative says there wasn't one, the fact that now two people have come forth to say otherwise suggests such an offer was indeed made.

I seriously cannot wait until this matter is thoroughly investigated and whoever was responsible is held to the strictest punishment.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"has further collaberated this story."

Sorry to pick nits..."corroborated" is probably what you mean here.

wilson said...

'I seriously cannot wait until this matter is thoroughly investigated and whoever was responsible is held to the strictest punishment.'

Be careful what you wish for.

Anonymous said...

Thanks I fixed it.

-scott

Anonymous said...

Thanks I fixed it.

-scott