Friday, October 10, 2008

The End of the Green Shift to Liberals

After hearing two Green candidates had endorsed the Liberal Party yesterday my mind turned to Stephane Dion's leadership victory at the Liberal Convention in 2006. I thought to myself, that Mark Marissen, who had engineered the momentum in that December that garnered Dion that win, had once again engineered that momentum on a mass scale; but after contacting many Green candidates, I know this now not to be the case. There will be no more Green candidates endorsing the Liberal Party.

Yesterday upon hearing that Green candidates Danielle Moreau in the riding of Longueuil-Pierre-Boucher, and Claude Gaumond of Montmagny-l'Islet-Kamouraska-Rivière-du-Loup endorsed the Liberal party I had actually formed the opinion these would be but the first.

Sensing that any development in the story would occur today or Saturday due to the impending holiday and subsequent decreased attention given to the media, I contacted numerous Green candidates across Canada, asking them if they would continue to support the Green Party and continue to run as their candidate.

I didn't email every Green candidate, but what I did do is go through list after list of their candidates from all provinces, looking for those candidates with little biographical information and with no official website, similar to the profiles of Moreau and Gaumond. I then contacted eleven candidates, and I have since received ten responses back all indicating they will continue supporting the Green Party.

Those Green candidates are:

Hondo Arendt: Skeena - Bulkley Valley
Rebecca Laplante:
Bas-Richelieu- Nicolet - Bécancour
David Aylward: Avalon
Charlie Howatt:
Portage - Lisgar
Jim Johnston:
Lambton Kent Middlesex
Luke Macmichael: Sault Ste. Marie
Aden Murphy:
Westlock - St. Paul
Nicolas Stulberg: Regina - Lumsden - Lake Centre
Dylan Richards: Fort McMurray--Athabasca
Amanda Swagar: Lethbridge

I should first say I applaud the above candidates in doing what they believe in and being so quick to respond, most certainly they would make great representatives and honour Canada in doing so. It is in reading their responses that I am extremely inclined to think that there will be no more Green candidates endorsing the Liberal party. With this recognition I am sure there is no alliance between the Liberals and the Greens, that is nothing more then not deciding to run candidates in each other Leader's riding.

What does this mean? It means there will be no interparty momentum for the Liberal party. It means that as always, the momentum for the Liberals will come from us, that it will come from Canadians, and that it will come from our country, Canada.

No comments: