Thursday, October 02, 2008

What I Did Yesterday

(Abstract: I am a Liberal supporter, I've made no secret of that. But this transcends ideology, this is about democracy and those Conservative candidates abuse of it. Vote for any candidate other then those 67 that attempted to make our electoral system a sham. If those Conservatives step down, then vote Conservative. I disagree with Conservative principles, but I recognize democracy and everyone's right to be heard fairly, however those Conservatives don't, and that's why I protest.)


(Picture courtesy of the Daily Courier, the best and most read newspaper in the Okanagan)


On October 1st I stood up against the Conservative Party's abuse of Canadian democracy.

What 67 Conservative Candidates did in the 2006 Election, as per their party, was wrong.

The moving of money from the national Conservative campaign to local ridings, only to be spent back on national ads was wrong and Elections Canada, the most unbiased body of government, believes it's fraud. This "In and Out" scheme allowed the Conservatives to allegedly illegally exceed their national spending limits by 1.1 million dollars.

The Conservative Party has admitted they did use such an "In and Out" process of funds, but maintain it was legal, but again Elections Canada disagrees and so do I. Just the allegation that those 67 Conservative candidates committed election fraud unimaginably damages the principles of transparency and equality that our democracy so necessarily relies on.

I am a Liberal supporter, I've made no secret of that. But this transcends ideology, this is about democracy and those Conservative candidates abuse of it. Vote for any candidate other then those 67 that attempted to make our electoral system a sham. If those Conservatives step down, then vote Conservative. I disagree with Conservative principles, but I recognize democracy and everyone's right to be heard fairly, however those Conservatives don't, and that's why I protest.

Canadians must take a stand against those Conservative candidates who think the principles of democracy are worthless and vote for candidates that actually respect our election process, our laws, and our country.

No comments: