Thursday, January 08, 2009

To Ezra Levant, I Am Not Anti-Israel

I would like to make clear I am not anti-Israel. My position does not make the current crisis into a matter of you are either for Israel or against Israel. My position is that both sides have valid reasons for assigning blame to each other and both sides are responsible for this current crisis.

I would like to ask Ezra Levant to please provide one shred of evidence, one quote, one implication that even suggests that I am anti-Israel. Failing to provide a valid reason, I demand he remove his claim that I am anti-Israel. I have only taken the most neutral position of declaring the actions of Israel and Hamas as both wrong and called for all violence, the rocket attacks and aerial bombings to stop.

In a recent post Ezra Levant includes various links to Liblogs sites he claims espouse varying degrees of anti-israel views, from Ezra's blog:

"Look here, here, here, here, and here for a few more examples all along the anti-Israel spectrum."
In the list of links (the here's) he includes a link to a post where I inquired into Liblogs policy of sending out pro-Israel material to its members unsolicited. In the post I referred to such biased material as "bordering on propaganda" which is logically and rationally valid, it does not imply that I am anti-Israel in the least.

Besides numerous responses, I must ask, certainly Mr. Levant one is not against something if he is not for it? There is the opportunity to be objective or cautious. I find your classification of my beliefs as offensive and wrong and I may pursue further action.

I would like to make clear I am not anti-Israel. My position does not make the current crisis into a matter of you are either for Israel or against Israel. My position is that both sides have valid reasons for assigning blame to each other and both sides are responsible for this current crisis. I have not so publicly declared this opinion (I did in my comments), however the lack of such a declaration does not justify Ezra Levant for declaring one for me especially when it is so wrong and irresponsible for him to do so.

In labeling myself as anti-Israel Ezra Levant has accused me of something that I fear may harm my reputation, and though most would admit my reputation is not something of import, it is mine nonetheless. I am not anti-Israel and I am asking Ezra Levant to remove said link claiming I am.

6 comments:

LeDaro said...

I will not give much importance to Ezra Levant. If it is any consolation, he has attacked too many Liberal blogger. The guy is a turd.

Pearce Richards said...

I can't handle the false dichotomy of pro-Israel or anti-Israel, it ignores the complexity of the issue. Blanket provocative statements are all Ezra has though. Like calling the NDP prostitutes. All flash and no substance.

Beijing York said...

It's a stupid dichotomy that has as much credibility as the accusations of anti-war advocates being pro-Saddam/anti-US (Iraq) or pro-Taliban/anti-troops (Canada).

LeDaro said...

Pearce, I think you have a very good point. Go for it. Give it to him. There is too much libel going on.

MLM said...

Is Ezra Levant educated?

I don't mean that to pejorative, but the leaps he makes in his arguments would make Evel Knievel envious.

I'm not saying he's unintelligent, but anyone who takes such decidedly foolish positions in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, and which are ignorant of the laws of logical argument, probably shouldn't be taken too seriously.

MLM said...

...and of course that ought to read "I don't mean that to BE pejorative..."