Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sex and the Senate

Winston Churchill is credited with an exchange that when adapted illustrates, not only the similarities between prostitution and politics, but current inconsistencies in the popular view of our Canadian government.

Churchill: "Madam, would you sleep with me for five million pounds?"
Socialite: "My goodness, Mr. Churchill... Well, I suppose... we would have to discuss terms, of course... "
Churchill: "Would you sleep with me for five pounds?"
Socialite: "Mr. Churchill, what kind of woman do you think I am?!"
Churchill: "Madam, we've already established that. Now we are haggling about the price

The Canadian adaptation, not as sexy but just as scandalous:

Ross: "Mr.John Canuck sir, would you support a government that had an unelected PM?"
Canuck: "Er, yes, I suppose,... That is how our system works."
Ross: "Would you support a government that had a Senate that was unelected?"
Canuck: "Mr. Ross, what kind of citizen do you think I am?!"
Ross: "Sir, we've already established that. Now we are just haggling over the details."

No comments: